Polystyrene and cholesterol
Debbie
2005-06-18 13:10:58 UTC
Could anyone please tell me if there is a similarity between the molecular
structure of polystyrene and cholesterol? The reason that I ask, is that a
friend sells an omega 3 and 6 supplement, and uses a bizarre demonstration
(shown to her by the company for which she sells) using polystyrene balls.
Some polystyrene balls are placed into cups with some warm water. My
friend's omega supplement is dropped into one cup, whilst some rival omega
supplements are put into the other cups. After an hour, the polystyrene
balls in my friend's cup have completely dissolved. This demonstration is
meant to show the effect of the omega supplement on cholesterol as
'apparently' the structure of polystyrene and cholesterol are similar. The
company are therefore saying that taking their omega supplement will break
down cholesterol in the body. Is there any scientific basis for this? (I
must admit, what I found even more worrying is that if you leave my friend's
supplement in the cup overnight, not only will the polystyrene be gone in
the morning, but the cup will also start to be eaten away!!)
Any thoughts on this gratefully received
Debra
MobiusDick
2005-06-22 07:48:27 UTC
No, styrene is vinyl benzene, polystyrene just adds at the vinylic
double bond; and cholesterol is a large 4 ringed molecule that bears no
resemblance.

MobiusDick